Founded in 1998 and headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, TMC was started (and is still owned) by artists and designers who share the philosophy that design, innovation and customization are the core to modern US manufacturing.
Our interest is not in producing furniture by the container-load. We are enamored of traditional made-to-order production methods and values, and by establishing our factory in Grand Rapids, we have been able to tap the city's rich history of furniture-craft.
By intention and evolution, we developed our own on-demand manufacturing model. Over the years, TMC designers and engineers invented a number of patent-pending laser cutting processes that combine the best of old-world furniture making with cutting edge technology – always with the aim of offering TMC customers the opportunity to make one-of-a-kind furniture at an affordable price and a reasonable lead-time.
TMC Furniture is committed to reducing, reusing and recycling to help ease the strain on our environment.
- We design and manufacture all our products with long life cycles to reduce the need to discard and replace furniture.
- Our products are primarily manufactured using wood – a wonderful organic material that is renewable, recyclable and biodegradable.
- The northern hardwoods that we select for our furniture come from renewable and sustainable forests; we do not use wood from endangered tree species.
- TMC furnishings are made in the USA which limits our transportation needs (as compared to trans-oceanic imports), thus reducing the carbon footprint of our products.
- Many of our products are constructed using Forbo Linoleum, Dakota Burl, Wheatboard and other “high-scoring” LEED materials. TMC's extensive experience with environmentally-friendly materials allows us to easily incorporate them into semi-custom and fully-custom products.
- Our metal and plastic products contain recycled content.
- Our adhesives, stains and finishes are designed to minimize harmful emissions – wherever possible, we use water-based products.
- Both our locations – TMC's Grand Rapids Factory and Ann Arbor Office – are committed to recycling paper, cardboard, plastics and scrap materials left over from our furniture production, thus dramatically reducing landfill requirements.
- We are just-in-time manufacturers eliminating storing unnecessary inventory.
- We offer blanket-wrap shipping, thereby eliminating packaging waste. Whenever possible, TMC uses processing procedures and products that have minimal environmental impact.